Storing your summer shoes in winter
Jun 12, 2013
With winter here, it’s time to start thinking about packing up your summer wardrobe to make room for coats, scarves and boots.
The easiest way to create space is to start with your shoes. If you’re like most women, you’ve probably got strappy shoes in every colour and every heel length taking up valuable room in your cupboard.
The bright colours, soft fabrics and lack of structure, make your summer shoes of sandals and strappy heels particularly vulnerable to damage during the winter months. That’s why many people are discovering the benefits of using self storage to keep their growing summer shoe collection safe from dirt, dust, bugs, discolouration and damage during winter.
Containaway provides self storage containers that come to you. You simply pack the container and we deliver it to one of our self storage facilities for safe keeping. Our containers are well ventilated to help keep mould and mildew at bay, which is particularly handy during the rainy winter days.
When it comes to storing shoes, there are a few important things that will give them greater protection.
- Determine which shoes you want to store – now’s the time to be ruthless. If you didn’t wear them last summer, chances are you won’t wear them next summer. Ditch any shoes that you haven’t worn, are uncomfortable or are no longer in good condition.
- Repair shoes for storage – It may seem like a pain now but it is a good idea to do any repairs before placing your shoes in storage. Take damaged shoes to your local cobbler to get them resoled, re-heeled and waterproofed.
- Clean your shoes – Give your leather shoes a good polish and wash your fabric ones with a mild detergent. Make sure to remove all dirt from the soles.
- Place your shoes in boxes – the best box to use is the original box the shoes came in but if you don’t have this, make sure you purchase plastic shoe boxes from your local department store.
- Help protect their shape – Shoe trees or crumbled newspaper should be used for any shoes at risk of losing their shape.
- Minimise odours – use cedar shoe trees or lavendar sachets to keep foul odours at bay during the winter months.
With the help of Containaway, you’ll be able to step out with great looking shoes this summer.